- Using The Ball As A Therapy Tool And Using Unstable Surfaces To Promote Functional Outcomes In The T
- 29.09.2010 - 01.10.2010
- Auberge Universel Hotel - Montréal
(English 3 Day Course: 2-day lab + 1-day lecture) Instructed By Barbara Hypes, PT.
Cette activité de formation continue, ayant respecté tous les critères de l`Ordre, est admissible en tant qu`activité de formation dirigée dans le cadre de la Politique de formation continue des membres de l`Ordre professionel de la physiothérapie du Québec. Clientèle visée : pht (20 HFC) et T.R.P. (20 HFC) http://www.oppq.qc.ca/PMamelioPolitFormConB3.php?id=3
This 2-day lab and one day lecture experience focuses on the use of gymnastic balls and unstable surfaces in therapy to promote development and function in patients. Posture and balance reactions are evaluated as well as motor planning transitions and movement on the ball. This is a participatory workshop so comfortable clothing is suggested. This course is beneficial for therapists from novice to experienced. The new therapist will find the information invaluable in helping them to develop a repertoire of treatment strategies based on a firm foundation of logical problem solving. The experienced therapist will be challenged to refine their skills and move away from their entrenched comfortable techniques as well as share their expertise.
- Evaluation of various posture and movement of classmates on ball.
- Presentation of equilibrium reactions on ball versus stable surface.
- Presentation of basic ball techniques for variety of pediatric patients by using partners and dolls.
- Participation in lab experience on mock patients.
Participants will be able to:
- Describe differences of weight shifting on stable vs. Mobile surface.
- Describe significance of extension and flexion with rotation for balance and equilibrium reactions
- Demonstrate on partners, techniques to elicit weight shifting with control on the ball.
- Demonstrate two techniques each for mobility, elongation, activity and control using the ball.
- Demonstrate transitions for sequencing therapy activities on the ball...
Instructor: Barbara Hypes, PT
Barbara is a physical therapist trained in both pediatric Neuro-Developmental Treatment and baby treatment. She has been treating pediatrics since 1981 and teaching continuing education seminars since 1985. She currently teaches courses for therapists, teachers and parents throughout the United States and Canada. Topics for teaching currently focus on treatment with the ball, treating the child who has neurological impairments and treating hypotonia.
Barbara is a graduate of Indiana University and lives in Wisconsin. She has treated in a variety of settings including outpatient rehabilitation center, hospitals and school settings. She currently works at an outpatient pediatric therapy center treating children ranging in age from newborn to young adult. Barbara has contributed an appendix to the book IMPROVING UPPER BODY CONTROL -AN APPROACH TO ASSESSMENT AND TREATMENT OF TONAL DYSFUNCTION, 2 sections to PARENT ARTICLES- FOR EARLY INTERVENTION, and written a book on treatment using the ball called: FACILITATING DEVELOPMENT AND SENSORIMOTOR FUNCTION- TREATMENT WITH THE BALL. Barbara has produced 15 educational DVD’s on treatment and in 2008 completed work on a new book titled, HEADS UP ON HYPOTONIA.
- Auberge Universel Hotel - Site internet
- 5000 Sherbrooke Est
- Code postal:
- H1V 1A1
EventList powered by schlu.net